I Am because We Are Humanity’s Team South Africa/s role in awakening consciousness for uBuntu and in getting a National uBuntu Day declared in South Africa forms part of their dream that South Africa and Africa as a whole will be first to officially support the Humanity’s Team call to the United Nations to officially adopt Global Oneness Day (a day that has already been celebrated around the world since 24 October 2010 and that coincides with United Nations Day) and as such, to take uBuntu to the global stage as Africa’s ancient gift of Oneness to the World. Humanity’s Team’s efforts to achieve their goals include gathering signatures for the global Oneness Declaration.
On 20 May, 2010, Humanity’s Team presented 50 000 Oneness Declaration signatures to Former Under-Secretary-General and High Representative of the United Nations and leading emissary of the UN Culture of Peace initiative; Ambassador Anwarul K. Chowdhury.
To date, the Oneness Declaration has been signed by almost 90 000 people from all over the world including leaders and celebrities such as Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Fr John Keating, Yoko Ono, Deepak Chopra, Dr Michael Beckwith, Barbara Marx Hubbard, Timothy Freke, Don Miguel Ruiz, etc. to name a few. A great number of other prominent South African citizens and uBuntu thought-leaders have also subsequently signed the Oneness Declaration.
Global Oneness Day is a day set aside and embraced by individuals, communities and nations annually, during which people celebrate, discuss, demonstrate and experience our commonality while still acknowledging and respecting our beautiful cultural diversity . . . a shared day to unite in Oneness every year for the greater good of the Human Family. CALL FOR A NATIONAL UBUNTU DAY IN SOUTH AFRICA
Energized by their uBuntu activities through-out the years, at the end of 2009 Humanity’s Team South Africa first obtained the support of Archbishop Desmond Tutu for a National uBuntu Day that was a catalyst for others to follow.
- The call of the National uBuntu Day Action Group (NUDAG), chaired by Humanity’s Team South Africa is adopted at the31 August 2010 National Heritage Foundation Reclaim and Live uBuntu for a Just and Caring Society Conference, convened by CRATA, the Commission for Religious and Traditional Affairs of the ANC.
- Call for a National uBuntu Day is again made as part of the National Identity and Unity Commission at the 4 – 5 July 2012 Department of Arts and Culture National Social Cohesion Summit, Kliptown, Soweto. The call is adopted as one of the resolutions of the day.
- Beginning of 2013 Humanity’s Team South Africa is informed by Dr Mathole Motshekga (then Chief Whip of the ANC) that the month of July had been earmarked as uBuntu Month by the Department of Culture
- Following the example set by Humanity’s Team World Wide to launch Global Oneness Day in 2010, Humanity’s Team South Africa launched their uBuntu Month Programs in 2013.
LIST OF UBUNTU MONTH PROGRAMS AND INITIATIVES
- It is uBuntu Month – I Am because We Are Facebook page for promotion of uBuntu activities, ideas and events. Here, we share our vision for our own life, our community and South Africa.
- Supporting and promoting Mandela Day activities on 18 July
- uBuntu Indaba at the Nelson Mandela Centre for Memory on Saturday 26 July 2014
- Annual Walk for an uBuntu Conscious South Africa – I Am because We Are and Spiritual Leadership Award to Mr Nelson Mandela event on Sunday 27 July 2014 at Freedom Park